Sunday, February 21, 2010

No. 11: Fasting and feasting


Last weekend I had the pleasure of partaking in an intimate BBQ soiree for seven at Kylie and Brendan's place in Northcote (Wanda, Brendan and Kylie are pictured at right). Since I'd last visited their place, they've undertaken a Backyard Blitz, and what had been a bit of a disaster area (their words) is now a tropical paradise. It was a beautiful warm Melbourne night, perfect for chilling out under the stars, grass hut roof overhead and palm trees all around, with the antics of various wildlife - and Cody - to keep us entertained...

Kylie and Brendan are participating in Feb Fast, and had sworn off alcohol, red meat, and chicken for the month - but were quite understanding about the fact that their guests had signed on for Feb Indulge, so were unable to join them in their total (and admirable) abstinence. I felt it appropriate to contribute a fat-free fish dish from the Heart Foundation cookbook, so we could all feel a bit virtuous together.

My plan was to prepare the Blue Eye with Mango Salsa (page 52), but I was slightly foiled by the fact that by the time I made it to my local fish market, the blue eye had all sold out. Undeterred, I soldiered on and decided to make the same dish using flathead - a rather different fish from blue eye, but one of my favourites. As well as mango, the salsa has tomato and onion, coriander, lime, chilli, and garlic. It was really delicious, and complemented the fish beautifully (guess I should mention that the fish was skilfully grilled by the aforementioned Kylie...)

And there was lots of other yummy food... vegetarian burgers, meat, and fabulous salads. I won't mention the chocolate we finished with later - in moderation, of course! Nor will I mention the highly competitive after-dinner Boggle games involving each of us, one by one, vs Cody - he is nearly (but not quite) unbeatable at word games, and a rematch or two may be required to sort out who really is The King of Boggle...

No comments:

Post a Comment